Healthcare Gov - After enrolling for coverage and paying premium through Healthcare.gov for myself & child, My child wasn't covered.
My 2013 medical coverage with Cigna for myself and 11 year old son was increasing from $280 to $350, effective Jan 1, 2014.So I decided to shop through Healthcare.gov website for a better coverage with lower deductible.
I completed the application on the website including providing my husbands information because they needed to know his income since I'm not employed. My husband has coverage through a former employer and didn't need coverage. At the end of the application process it gave me a message regarding Medicaid and they would contact me later. At this point I didn't know why they would be contacting me.
I was able to continue to the plan options and select coverage and I selected a plan costing $470 that I thought included health coverage for myself and son and additional dental coverage for my son. On this page the representative from Healthcare.gov said that it does look like I was applying for family coverage or at least dependent coverage. I didn't know that it didn't include my son. It took me two hours on hold to make my initial payment of$470 to Blue Cross.
After receiving my new membership card in the mail sometime in January, I noticed it didn't mention my son on the plan. Since the phone hold time was extremely long and unpredictable with Blue Cross, I emailed them with my concern about coverage including my son but they didn't respond. It took me several calls with Blue Cross to speak to a representative, sometimes I was on hold for nearly an hour before I had to hang up and try later. Today I finally spoke to a representative and they confirmed my son wasn't on the plan and that I need to go back to the healthcare.gov market place and speak to a representative to add him on the plan.
I then spoke to a Healthcare.gov representative and she said they placed my son on Medicaid by mistake (it was a mistake on their end) and that I need to cancel my application and coverage with Blue Cross to remove him from Medicaid and reapply so I can include him. The representative cancelled my previous application and I had to complete a second application to include him after he's removed from Medicaid. Now that I'm reviewing the new plans for coverage including my son, they have increased from $470 to over $600.00. So now, I've had to pay $351.00 today to reinstate / continue my old plan so I wouldn't lose my coverage from Cigna.
I've already paid $470.00 for my January coverage with Blue Cross through healthcare.gov which I find out after I've paid it didn't include coverage for my son. The Marketplace representative said that I need to ask Blue Cross to reimburse me for the $470 on my own and that they couldn't help me with this.
I've wasted so much of my time and now may lose $470. I don't see how Healthcare.gov is helping to lower my cost, it has cost me and will continue to cost me more.
If I wasn't persistent in finding the information regarding my son's coverage on my own, I would have lost coverage for myself and son if I hadn't paid my current premium by the end of the month.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Medical Coverage
- Review category
- Government and Politics
You May Also Like
- "I find myself Ramon A Cubas an american citizen from Miami, Florida,needing to have an urgent hip replacement due to the negligence of Molina Healthcare of Florida. I had an injury in..."
- "Theï»¿ Moroccan boxer called Badr Hari has played boxing & had aï»¿ sexual relationship with the wife of a Dutch football player to go on Dutch television.ï»¿ According to..."
- "First of all, I have been insured through the Marketplace roughly five months ago and it was terrible and veeery time-consuming to get signed up initially. Today I had to..."
- "(I will put this view at all sites as I can, I was injured and not refunded or compensated at all. My e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org and destinia reservation was 2511132..."
- "My family of 5 went on vacation to Disney World last April. On the first day we were there I was injured while sitting in my wheel chair at the..."
- "My family has been an AT&T client for over 3 years now. When we signed up, me and my wife got iPhone 3GS, while my 10-year old got a..."
- "Hi, I'd purchased headset from lazada.com.my with details as follows: Order No.: 383836636 Item/Brand: SonicGear Chromatic Light Design X-Craft HP7000 2.1 Gaming Headset Price: RM85 (offer price before disc.) RM76.50 (discounted price using..."
- "I purchased the consulting accelerator program online in August and then had a death in my immediate family so I emailed Sam's help desk asking if they would honor their..."
- "ATTENTION PLEASE!!! DON'T INVEST IN "Energywise LED" After hearing alot about Energywise LED. I invested into this company to become a business partner but unfortunately this did not work out!! ..."