Healthcare Gov - After enrolling for coverage and paying premium through Healthcare.gov for myself & child, My child wasn't covered.
My 2013 medical coverage with Cigna for myself and 11 year old son was increasing from $280 to $350, effective Jan 1, 2014.So I decided to shop through Healthcare.gov website for a better coverage with lower deductible.
I completed the application on the website including providing my husbands information because they needed to know his income since I'm not employed. My husband has coverage through a former employer and didn't need coverage. At the end of the application process it gave me a message regarding Medicaid and they would contact me later. At this point I didn't know why they would be contacting me.
I was able to continue to the plan options and select coverage and I selected a plan costing $470 that I thought included health coverage for myself and son and additional dental coverage for my son. On this page the representative from Healthcare.gov said that it does look like I was applying for family coverage or at least dependent coverage. I didn't know that it didn't include my son. It took me two hours on hold to make my initial payment of$470 to Blue Cross.
After receiving my new membership card in the mail sometime in January, I noticed it didn't mention my son on the plan. Since the phone hold time was extremely long and unpredictable with Blue Cross, I emailed them with my concern about coverage including my son but they didn't respond. It took me several calls with Blue Cross to speak to a representative, sometimes I was on hold for nearly an hour before I had to hang up and try later. Today I finally spoke to a representative and they confirmed my son wasn't on the plan and that I need to go back to the healthcare.gov market place and speak to a representative to add him on the plan.
I then spoke to a Healthcare.gov representative and she said they placed my son on Medicaid by mistake (it was a mistake on their end) and that I need to cancel my application and coverage with Blue Cross to remove him from Medicaid and reapply so I can include him. The representative cancelled my previous application and I had to complete a second application to include him after he's removed from Medicaid. Now that I'm reviewing the new plans for coverage including my son, they have increased from $470 to over $600.00. So now, I've had to pay $351.00 today to reinstate / continue my old plan so I wouldn't lose my coverage from Cigna.
I've already paid $470.00 for my January coverage with Blue Cross through healthcare.gov which I find out after I've paid it didn't include coverage for my son. The Marketplace representative said that I need to ask Blue Cross to reimburse me for the $470 on my own and that they couldn't help me with this.
I've wasted so much of my time and now may lose $470. I don't see how Healthcare.gov is helping to lower my cost, it has cost me and will continue to cost me more.
If I wasn't persistent in finding the information regarding my son's coverage on my own, I would have lost coverage for myself and son if I hadn't paid my current premium by the end of the month.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Medical Coverage
- Review category
- Government and Politics
You May Also Like
- "I am expecting a package today by noon. I have a tracking number. I go to the usps.com website to get information but lo and behold there is no information...."
- "In Amsterdam North march 2007 to 2012 several streets area's Nieuwendam-Noord, Volewijck-Tuindorp Buiksloterham, Buiksloterham, Meeuwenlaan, Motorwal, Motorkade & Ketelmakerij by several buildings corperations. A huge amount of money have veen..."
- "My mom was in a car accident around 7:40 pm on 8/25/15. My sister got there and was still on the cell phone. I could hear the guys cursing at..."
- "My complaint is against Surface Solutions & Design and its owner/operators, Peter M. *** and Lucie R. Elmer, for being deceptive about their product and the absolutely terrible floor installation..."
- "Why thank you very much Mr. Vince for those kind words. If you would be so kind to make your balance due payment, It would be appreciated. Apart from making..."
- "Kanes motto is "Quality so good, it's guaranteed for life". Bought a three person reclining sofa, with bonded leather. A year later we purchased a power recliner, leather like...."
- "I recently sold my Goyard St. Louis tote on Poshmark. But Poshmark cancelled the sale and deleted my account saying the bag is not real. They even charged me 20..."
- "they added V.O.D. and extra 50 on internet and more for same phone plus the installation charges. The best way to get this fixed is call the FCC and write..."
- "Had. Went. To. Da. Family. ..."